Home Owner Tips.
Some Home Fix It Websites.
Low water pressure when more than 1 outlet turned on.
A lot of our homes were built in the late 50's and early 60's.
The galvanized pipe used between the water meter and the plumping in the house has corroded and may need replacing.
This is the home owners responsibility and cost. The City is only responsible up to the water meter.
Grilling outdoors is a favorite pastime,
but too often the fun turns into danger due to carelessness.
The Charlotte Fire Department especially urges residents of apartments and condominiums to put these tips to good use:
- Never cook or grill within 10 feet of combustible materials, such as pine straw, bark chips or wood
- Never leave a fire unattended
- Never use charcoal lighter fluid or other flammable liquid on a burning fire
- Keep children and pets away from grills
- Leave the grill hood open until ignition occurs when lighting gas grills
- Make sure your grill is sturdy and will not tip over
- Always shut off the valve to propane tanks when not in use
- Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the use and maintenance of your grill
- Keep an ABC multipurpose dry chemical fire extinguisher or a garden hose nearby
- Let hot coals cool before discarding in a metal container
- Cylinders of Propane should not be kept/ stored inside apartments, condos or homes
The use of charcoal and gas grills is prohibited within 10 feet of combustible materials at all occupancies except one and two family dwellings and townhouses due to their universal building code. Citations will be issued to violators of this regulation. Repeat offenders can face 30 days in prison and be fined up to $500. Each day that the violation continues is deemed a separate offense.
Best way to water yard in the summer.
It is best to water the yard in the early morning. Most yards will need watering only twice a week. Set a bucket at the edge of your springler coverage area, and when the bucket gets an inch of water in it, move the springler and bucket to cover another area of the yard.
Some Lawn and Garden Websites
The premier gateway to gardening on the internet _ Garden net
Keeping Mosquitoes under control.
- A mosquito lays several hundred eggs that hatch in about 10 days. A small puddle can produce thousands of mosquitoes. Reduce mosquito breeding areas by identifying and draining areas with standing water thereby reducing the number of mosquito larvae.
- Get rid of or store properly old tires, toys, buckets, bottles or any water holding containers.
- Fill or drain any low places (puddles, ruts) in the yard.
- Keep gutters, drains, ditches and culverts clean of weeds and trash so water will drain properly.
- Cover trash containers to keep out rain water.
- Empty plastic wading pools at least once a week.
- Fill in tree rot holes and hollow stumps that hold water with sand or concrete.
- Change the water in bird baths and plant pots or drip trays.
- Check for water accumulation around sprinkler heads, spigots and under decks.